When cooked, brown rice expands 3 x and quinoa expands 4 x. So, 1 cup of this blend will expand into about 3-4 cups of cooked rice blend. Then adding 3 +/- cups of veggies and greens and your total salad will be about 6 cups…so 12, ½ cup servings.
If you are serving the salad as a main meal, you can double or triple it, add some feta, chicken, or shrimp for protein and you have an awesome one-dish meal!
1 cup Sprouted Rice & Quinoa Blend from True Roots, found at Costco (cooked according to package directions).
1 ¾ cup water
½ tsp. salt
1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup diced sweet peppers, any colour
¼ cup diced red onion
½ cup goji berries, fresh or frozen
1 cup of chopped green leaves of any kind, spinach, kale, romaine, etc.
Plus any other option you can think of, such as:
½ cup diced pickled artichoke hearts
½ cup diced avocado
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup toasted almond slices
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
1 T. finely minced onion or shallot
Cook rice blend: Need 35 minutes. Then you need time to cool it. It’s great to make a day ahead and let cool overnight.
- Boil water in a medium saucepan with tight fitting lid, add quinoa blend and salt. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered for 10 more minutes. Fluff with a fork. Pour into a bowl, cover it and refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight.
You may make the quinoa blend in a rice maker if desired.
- Chop all the vegetables and greens.
- Turn frying pan on med high, pour the sliced almonds into pan. Stir until lightly browned. Pour onto plate to cool. Put in refrigerator to cool faster.
- Mix rice, gojis, vegetables and almonds together in a large bowl.
- Make Balsamic dressing in a jar with a lid, shake until mixed.
- Pour balsamic dressing over all and stir to combine.
- Serve as a side salad, or you can add protein and serve as a main dish!